Colorado Family Law Project is looking for a rockstar family law paralegal to help us with a growing firm that provides quality, affordable family law services to Coloradans.
What We’re Looking For
– Preferably an Associates or equivalent in Paralegal Studies from an accredited school, but we’ll consider your years of experience (at least 3-4 years specifically in Colorado family law).
– A self-starter, meaning you know what to do by looking at a case. You should be able to review a case quickly and efficiently and identify what paralegal tasks are needed. For example, you know when and how to send financial disclosure instructions to a client, prepare and file notices and other procedural documents, know when to set a matter for hearing, and calendar deadlines as soon as you receive the relevant order or setting information. This is not an exhaustive list but intended to give you an idea of what we’re looking for.
– Intuition. You know family law like the back of your hand, or you’re getting there. You’re one step ahead of the attorney, meaning you have relevant documents like a JTMC, Sworn Financial Statement, or Asset/Debt Worksheet ready to go even before you’re asked to do it. Exhibit lists and exhibits are populated as the case progresses. You monitor the attorney’s calendar and have discovery deadlines populated. If mediation was unsuccessful, you’re already setting the matter for hearing. (You get the picture!)
– You’re comfortable working with a wide array of clients (from the indigent to the wealthy), and you can handle difficult or high-conflict personalities professionally and courteously.
– You’re familiar with the different counties and their rules. Jeffco does things a little differently than Denver, for example. You’re familiar with most of the judges on the bench.
– Once you’ve taken on a task, you see it through to the end.
– You know the Rules of Civil Procedure, Evidence, and Magistrates. You know which Motions and filings require 21-day responses and which are shorter (like a Petition for District Court or Absentee Testimony). You know where to look if you don’t know or need a refresher.
– You’re next level with Clio, CCEF, and supporting software like HelloSign, Dropbox, and Adobe Acrobat Pro (not just Acrobat).
– You can work in a fast-paced environment, where things change quickly, and you may need to jump on another case at any moment. You’re organized, responsive, and curious to learn more.
– You have or appreciate the need for Access to Justice and are familiar with programs like sliding scale to help those who can’t afford legal representation.
– You are familiar with full representation versus unbundled services.
– Assist the attorney in managing client caseloads on Clio, including regular updates, organization, and management of client folders;
– Prepare materials for and assist in preparation for depositions, hearings, and trials;
– Prepare simple draft pleadings (such as Notices, procedural Motions, Sworn Financial Statements, Exhibit List, JTMC templates) as well as discovery
– Prepare Sworn Financial Statement and 16.2 disclosures, including client file management and organization as well as supplemental management;
– Arrange for proper service of the process, including, but not limited to, summons, petitions, subpoenas, etc.
– Filing documents with the Court, either by E-filing, in-person filing, mailing, emailing etc.
– Perform docketing functions including, but not limited to, docket preparation and processing, trial preparation, deadline dates, court appearances, court communications, and motion hearing dates;
– Gathering information and reviewing and analyzing documentation such as Opposing Party’s disclosures and discovery responses.
– Anticipate attorney needs;
– Engage in professional and supportive interaction with clients;
– Stay informed of developments in the Paralegal industry;
– Work efficiently and accurately on attorney cases, staying ahead of the game and prioritizing (reasonable) client needs;
– Learn/develop technical proficiency in database use and management; internet/electronic research; and project folder/electronic file maintenance
– This is a contract position – please ensure that you have the necessary conflict checks in place and at least 25-30 hours/week working with us.
– This position pays anywhere between $25-45/hour, depending on your experience.
– This position is remote – so long as you’re our rockstar, we don’t care where you work. However, you are responsible for providing your hardware, including office, laptop/computer, and a printer/scanner/fax.
– We do not provide benefits (medical, retirement, etc.)